Saturday, May 1, 2010

Momma knows best, right?

After spending the last few days going out every few hours and holding the doe so Little Girl could feed, she lost the battle last night. Such is life on a farm. Someone said where there is livestock, there will always be dead stock at some point. I keep this in mind as I am reminded of the cycle and fragility of life.

Like I told my friends, I know that animal mothers generally sense that something is wrong with their young. Therefore, they don't waste resources on something that is ultimately not going to survive. As humans, we have intervened so much that animals that never would have or even should have survived are entering the gene pool. This is ultimately a self-defeating endeavor. Weakening the genetic base is not in our best interests, and not in the best interests of our stock.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you lost the little one. I know it's hard, even if they weren't meant to survive. Been a bad lambing/kidding season for lots of folks.

    ReplyDelete