Wednesday, July 1, 2009

21st Century, Kicking and Screaming

Well, here we are, on the web.

What do we do? We raise animals.

Why? So we know what is, and more importantly, what is NOT in the meat we eat.

How? Blood, sweat and tears. No, seriously. Blood, sweat and tears. Building fences, maintaining shelters, moving animals has a tendency to let the blood flow. It's Oklahoma. In the land of 100-plus degree summers, the sweat flows frequently. When a plan just doesn't come together like it should, an animal loses it's fight with Mother Nature, or when I just can seem to get it together, tears flow.

Who? Glad you asked. My husband, Jim and I, and our two daughters, ages 14 and 9, attend the joint. Some days, I think the critters rule, and we just cater to them. Other days, I delude myself into thinking we actually have a modicum of control.

Fun and giggles, aside. What we do is raise just about every meat animal possible. Seven species of meat producing animals roam our acreage. And when I say roam, I mean it. Some of the critters just won't stay where I tell them. Apparently, they want the stuff on the other side of the fence. The biggest offenders are the chickens, which I don't mind, and the little goatling, which I do. He just scrunches himself under the gate. Little booger ate my tomato and pepper plants.

As I'm picking up new animals this weekend, I'll take pictures, and the next post will be a basic show and tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment